Smith Publicity is looking for an experienced publicist.
Work independently and/or as part of a team with authors/publishers; get to know their books—then “pitch” to the media—newspapers, magazines, television, radio, and online outlets—with the goal of securing coverage interviews, articles, book reviews, feature stories, etc.
Day to day, after training, you will be the primary contact with client, write press releases, research media database, develop creative ways (using information from the author, current news stories, statistics, editorial calendars, awareness months, etc.) to entice the media to cover the author/book in some way, “pitch” media by telephone and email, perform follow up activities and arrange media opportunities with client.
- Creative and able to collaborate with clients on ideas and strategy.
- Excellent communicator to media, clients, and internal team. Persuasive, clear, and direct writing and telephone skills are essential when presenting clients to the media. Key skills also include the ability to communicate strategy, ideas, and results with client and to internal team.
- Organized, detailed oriented, able to multitask, work independently, meet strict deadlines, have a sense of urgency for results and possess computer/research skills.
- News savvy, following trends and breaking stories across print, broadcast and online media.
- Comfortable with Vocus/Cision international media database (training provided).
- Thorough, reporting written weekly updates company and client, and holding ongoing telephone calls/meetings with clients and internal team.
- Available to work in Cherry Hill, NJ headquarters
Required: BA/BS in public relations, marketing, communication, English, business, publishing or related field. Ideal candidate has 3 to 5 years publicity/public relations related experience. Publishing experience and a love of book is a plus.
To apply, send resume, cover letter and writing samples to email@example.com.