- Promoting Your Book on Goodreads, By Lauren Covello, Smith Publicity Book Publicist
- Smith Publicity Announces New Fiction Book Publicity Services
Promoting Your Book On Goodreads
By Lauren Covello, Smith Publicity Book Publicist
With Amazon’s purchase of book recommendation site Goodreads, more authors are stepping up their game to make the most out of this platform.
Goodreads is the world’s largest social networking site for readers. In fact, it’s twice the size of LibraryThing and Shelfari combined, and is kind of like “the Facebook” of book publishing. As of April 2013, Goodreads reports it has 16 million members and 23 million reviews. Amazon.com bought Goodreads in the second quarter of 2013, but it has not yet announced if and how this will impact members and authors on Goodreads and Shelfari (which is also owned by Amazon).
Like other social cataloguing sites, Goodreads members can track the books they’re reading, have read, and want to read and also see which books their friends are reading. They receive personalized book recommendations from Goodreads’ search engine, which the site says analyzes 20 billion data points to give suggestions tailored to each member’s literary tastes. Members (and visitors) can also browse reviews. Unlike its competitors, Goodreads feeds its reader reviews to third-party sites, including Google Books, Powell's Books, Kobo, and Sony.
Goodreads also has a well-known “Author Program,” which is a free feature designed to help authors reach their target audiences. Not only can you advertise your book using Goodreads pay-per-click ads, but you can also list a book giveaway to generate early buzz and create discussion forums about your book. Becoming a Goodreads Author carries special privileges, such as the ability to edit profile information, add book cover images, post events, write a blog, upload videos, and start featured author groups.
What Can You Do as a Goodreads Author? Tips from Goodreads
Take Control of Your Profile
- Make your profile a dynamic destination for curious readers. Here are some of the features you can use on your profile:
- Add a picture and bio.
- Share your list of favorite books and recent reads with your fans!
- Write a blog and generate a band of followers.
- Publicize upcoming events, such as book signings and speaking engagements.
- Share book excerpts and other writing.
- Write a quiz about your book or a related topic.
- Post videos.
- Add the Goodreads Author widget to to your personal website or blog to show off reviews of your books.
Promote Your Books
- Get the word out! Here are some of the promotional tools available on Goodreads:
- Sign up to advertise your book to up to the Goodreads Community—15,000,000 readers!
- List a book giveaway to generate pre-launch buzz.
- Lead a Q&A discussion group for readers.
- Participate in discussions on your profile, in groups and in the discussion forums for your books.
For more information on how to join Goodreads and interacting with this community, visit http://www.goodreads.com/author/program.
Smith Publicity Announces New Fiction Services
As the way readers are discovering new books is constantly changing, we've revamped our book publicity options for fiction projects.
The core of the service is still media outreach to print, broadcast, online and book bloggers, plus uploading books to NetGalley, a community of more than 100,000 librarians, reviewers, bloggers, educators, but we have more emphasis on coaching clients with author-led initiatives.
We will talk with clients on how to take on these initiatives including:
- library outreach,
- social media tips with specific information for Goodreads and Shelfari,
- setting up local book signings,
- website design tips for authors,
- fiction book awards, and
- Amazon author tools.
- We are also offering consultation services to give authors indepth advice before undertaking publicity efforts. Plus, we can help you with galleys/advance reader copy outreach. We are excited to offer this new range of services in a variety of price points. We welcome to you contact us!
For more information, contact Corinne Liccketto, Director of Sales, Corinne@SmithPublicity.com or 856-489-8654 x309