For fiction authors as well as authors of humor or very niche topic non-fiction books, engaging fans and maintaining relationships is key.
First, you must build your author fan base by collecting names and email addresses from your website. To do this, you need to give something to get something. People won’t give their email address to you unless there’s something in it for them; an interesting and fun or informative newsletter or other offerings. The book promotion ideas below can help you get fans … and keep them!
- Provide sneak previews of your forthcoming or just published book to your fans
- Announce you’ll be giving free books to the first five people who meet you at a book signing in their area
- Give free advance copies of your book to your fans
- Get wild and crazy! If you get a national or major TV interview, choose a fan in that area who can accompany you to interview.
- Host a contest related to your book. Make it a fun one and push it out over social media and on your website.
- Get some inexpensive t-shirts printed with your book cover, and offer to give a select number away, and sell the others at low-cost from your website
- Feature the winner of the contest on your website and social media and award a prize – perhaps a signed copy of your book or a donation made in their name to their favorite charity
- Create free book give-away contests
- Choose a “Fan of the Month” and give them a prize